Wednesday, April 22, 2015

No Turning Back...

There are so many things in this life that cause pain. Some of the most painful come from relationships. We all have situations where people we love hurt us or people we love are hurt by others. I'm currently battling with some painful situations and this has caused me to pray a lot - which is good.  But then there are days when it's difficult to keep a heavenly perspective or know what to do.

It's easy to drift off and dwell on the pain, dwell on what happened and how you "should have" responded. Do you know what I'm talking about? Those times when you think "I should have said this or done that, THAT would change the situation, THAT would make it better." I remember this most vividly when I was a child. I would think about the confrontation I had with a neighbor kid and wish I would have had that perfect come back to stop them dead in their tracks and leave them speechless by how amazingly smart and quick witted I was. Maybe you have your pseudo conversations in the shower...not that I ever do that.

I had one of these drifts today with tears stinging my eyes. The enemy of our souls is so slick to get us caught up in bitterness, un-forgiveness and a holier-than-thou attitude.

But then a song came on the radio that rocked me back into perspective.

I have decided, to follow Jesus
I have decided to follow Jesus
I have decided to follow Jesus
No turning back
No turning back

"Thank you, Lord."

Yes, I have decided to follow Jesus. Jesus. The One who loved even when his accusers spat in his face. The One who said "Father, forgive them," while hanging on a Roman cross. The One who thought of His love for me, as the life-blood drained from his precious, perfect body, to save my damned soul.

I have no right to feel anything but grace, compassion and forgiveness when pain is caused by people. I have the privilege  of loving others sacrificially and without judgement just like Jesus loved me.  I can encourage them, pray for them, be there for them. This is the way of Jesus.

It's hard to love like Jesus loves, there is no doubt about that. But I've decided to follow Jesus. No turning back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to the conversation...